Saturday, January 15, 2011

Project Bathroom Update

Me so excited!

We have decided to renovate the guest bathroom coz it's in a really bad shape. This gave me the opportunity to design a new layout and give the bathroom a new facelift! I have made sketches for my design, ensuring all measurements are correct and did some research on where to get most of our shopping done. In the end, we went to Bathstore for all our bathroom needs... it is slightly more expensive than other DIY stores or websites, but the quality is better and I knew the customer support is above par.

So here's the plan:

1) Both the old sink and WC really needs to go.

Firstly the sink is so damn irritating coz I hate 2 separate taps! It's just so leceh to wash your hands or face trying to balance the extremes of scorching hot with freezing cold water! So, I'm replacing the sink with a desktop basin, which I had long fancied having if I had my own home :)

The old WC's flush dah longgar giler and when I asked Natig (my builder) to fix it, he can't coz they don't make my flush fixing type anymore (that's how nazak this bathroom is hokkayyyyy...). The wooden toilet seat pun dah nak hampir patah and kalau silap duduk, bon-bon can tersepit! So, it's not only uzur but hazardous too! For the new WC, I chose nothing special - just a standard white modern look WC.


2) From bath tub to walk-in shower
Yes, the old bath tub is made of plastic and sempit and the panel height is quite high. So it is a struggle to 'climb in' the bath especially for my mom and my inlaws who are using this bathroom the most. Plus, we already have a nice bath tub in our ensuite bathroom, so we don't really need this.
So we decided to put in a new walk-in shower instead, big enough to fit 2 people so senang nak mandikan si Haidan kemetot! I've also designed it to have the new shower to be placed in the opposite wall so there's plenty of ceiling space for the new shower head.

3) Goodbye sprinkles, hello waterfall!
Have you ever experience having a bad hair day and when you step in a shower and turn the tap on, the water keluar se-ciput jer or the water pressure is so lame that rasa macam tak puas sangat mandi?? Well, this is exactly what my old shower head can offer. Because it was originally built as a bath, the pipes runnning to the bath taps are installed low, hence no complain on water pressure if nak takung air in a bath.... but when the previous owner added a shower head to the tap system, the water pressure was not enough to give a satisfying shower output!
Hence, introducing our most anticipated newbie in the bathroom of all - our new Mira Divisa electrical shower system. Unlike the conventional electric shower, this 10kW machine has a wide rain drop overhead shower and a separate handheld shower. More importantly, it's got a built-in pump to ensure the pressure is always perfect..... bliss!

4) Heating with style
I cannot complain much about the existing bathroom heater at the moment.... although it does look bulky and old-fashioned, it works perfectly fine and it's actually heaven-sent if I need to dry something fast! But, because we needed the extra space for the walk-in shower, we terpaksa relocate the old heater. And relocating an old heater (along with the running pipes etc) seems more expensive than just installing a new electric heater, which looks more chic and modern.
5) Colour theme
Choosing the theme was the most difficult task for my project bathroom - coz the tile and flooring selection can make a difference: an expensive bathroom looking cheap or a cheap bathroom looking expensive. Obviously my objective is the latter. I have always preferred a modern look than a traditional country feel... so I was more inclined to choose a white/dark grey/silver theme than the existing theme, which was more neutral (beige with brown). It was a toss between a 'cool and crisp' or a 'warm and cosy' look.

In the end, I have decided to go for a 'modern but classy'- combining white and dark brown large tiles with marble & glass mosaic border/ feature wall as below.... I'm so loving it!!!


My next task now is to choose the matching flooring- either wooden or tile floor laminate. From the reviews, the tile flooring is the way to go... but I can't decide on the colour theme. Should I have a dark floor to match the mosaics or a white slate look to give a better contrast between the walls and floor???

Hmmmm.... I kinda narrowed down the following flooring choices already... but which one yek goes best with the above tile scheme???



2 comments:

Vasantha said...

Probably white kot...........:-)

You already have dark colours on your wall so the white should make the bathroom look bigger.....too much of dark colours will make the room look smaller....

and i always liked my bathroom floor to be white.......it's much easier to see anything on the floor.....

aditajo said...

Thanks darling! Yup, agree. Bought the white flooring already!