Thursday, May 26, 2011

Mumbai Memories

It is about a year today that I was in Mumbai visiting my best friend, Vasantha and my god-daughter Aleeshya. I was flicking through the photos and remembered the trip so well.




The week I was there, Vasantha took really good care of me - making sure I take in as much as Mumbai could offer. We went on a city tour to sample Mumbai's rich history (Ghandi), magnificent architectures (gateway to India), diversity (palaces and slums) and of course the yummy curries.



And speaking of curries, it was here in Mumbai that I have tasted my favourite type of curry - The Mumbai Green Masala. I loved it so much that I made Aida (Vasantha's helper) to cook it again before I left Mumbai and of course, noted down the recipe. So, to celebrate my one year Mumbai memories, I decided to cook it today:

1) First blend coriander leaves, mint leaves, cinnamon, cumin, green chillies and pepper corns with some water. This is the masala paste and is left to set.


2) Also, marinate chicken pieces with chopped garlic, onion, ginger and salt and set aside.


3) Heat oil in pan. When ready, fry sliced onions and some curry leaves until 'naik bau'.


3) Then add in chopped tomatoes and potatoes and fry till potatoes are cooked.


4) Then mix in the masala paste in (1) and let it simmer for a couple of minutes.


5) Last but not least, add in the chicken pieces and mix well. Simmer till 'naik minyak'.


6) Finish off with salt and sugar to taste and our Mumbai Green Masala is ready, hoorrraayyyyy!!! (clap, clap, clap).

No comments: