Saturday, November 08, 2008

Giggly blonde??

I had my performance appraisal yesterday. Due to some changes in the office, I was assessed by my mentor and lead instead of my manager. I knew it was going to be a bit uncomfortable because we were quite close.

As soon as we entered the room, I had to explain all my current year objectives and justify myself how I have achieved the expectations given to me. Compared to the previous year, this year was very challenging as I have been given the responsibility to do power system studies - a task usually done with people having more than 20 years experience. Therefore, I had to work extra hard this year meeting the requirements set in the office, with becoming a new mom and trying to learn the system as much as I can with the little time I have. Although I was happy that my mentor acknowledged that I performed well in my task, I was taken a back that she mentioned that the only thing that bothers her is that I portray a "giggly blonde" personality - which, by the first impression people may not take me seriously, and doubts my leadership skills. I might not have the confidence to give out presentations and might find it difficult should I be sent out to site on my own.

Hmmm.... me "giggly blonde"??? Can't talk in front of people?? Can't survive independence at site??? At first I was quite surprised because when I was back in Malaysia, my previous feedbacks have always highlighted that I am confident when it comes to work, and never timid. I have spoken and giving presentations numerous times - at work, being an emcee and giving career talks - heck, I conducted my own aerobics class 3x a week! I love going to site and get all excited (most of the time I didn't want to come home) because I knew I learnt a whole lot more at site than being in the office! Thus, I was quite unhappy on the way back home last night, thinking that I do not deserve such comments- I was on defensive mode. I was angry and frustrated.

However as I slept through it, I woke up this morning suddenly thinking that my Mentor might just be right. I realised I wasn't as proactive as when I was in Malaysia. I realised that I do feel intimidated sometimes with my western colleagues, especially knowing that you're not native. There were times when I rather be quiet than voicing out, too worried if I might just ask a stupid question. There were times when I still have the mentality that "I am new here - don't wanna show off too much", (which is definitely a safe net if you're in Malaysia). There were times when I rather be comfortable as a follower than a leader because I don't want people to talk behind my back. So maybe she's right after all? Maybe I have turned myself into a "giggly blonde" who lacks confidence and independence??!!!

After all that thinking (with numerous sticks of M7Lites later!), I have now decided that I shall take it all in my stride and instead of wasting time being angry (the traditional Melayu defensive route), I shall improve myself and show my Mentor (and everyone else!) that I am NOT a giggly blonde anymore. I am so fired up and I will complete my Chartered application and prove that I am a competent, assertive, proactive and qualified Engineer!

So, first things first... I have to go colour my hair - it shall be back to black now!

4 comments:

Ghazali said...

Giggly Blonde??? Is it GEDIK???

Hehehhee

Well Dita, your mentor might be right ... cause with the different environment, you become a different person , but your inner strength is still there ... cuma tak terkeluar lagi jer ...

Go guuurrrlll ....

Show them the REAL YOU!!! Happening Babe ... not the GIGGLY BLONDE!!!

aditajo said...

Hehhee, thanks Ghaz :)

I thot with baby and all, sure lah I dah tak gemilang dah...

So now must follow you- after 3 kids, still maintain happening!

Vasantha said...

giggly blonde......hehehehehe........you're kidding me right......

anyways dont make the changes too fast......wait for me......i want to be able to see you in your giggle blonde character.....:-).......

miss you.........

F.Idrus said...

Hahhaa giggly blonde. When you said giggly blonde I imagined... Paris Hilton. U are so not like Paris Hilton, miaahaha!

Tapi kan Mate, people would mistaken you with giggly blonde, because you are hot and happening and fun... and pretty. It's typical streotyping that woman who is hot, happening, fun and pretty can't be smart, independent with good leadership skill.

They really need to get over this you know... smart women aren't geeks with big specks ala Betty la Soy anymore lah!

But I really get your perspective and yes, show them the real you but don't loose your so called giggly blond/gedik persona cos me likeyyyyy... hahahaha! (sebab aku pun sama hahahahah)