Sunday, September 16, 2007

A long weekend in bed

Last Friday, I had to undergo a glucose-tolerance test and some other blood test at St Helier's Hospital. I was to follow a strict diet menu 3 days before and then fast from Thursday night till Friday morning. The test requires you to fast until they draw out some blood (about 3 vials full), they'll then give you this very, very, very sweet glucose drink (think 1 glassful of water diluted with 10 tablespoon sugar!), which you have to finish within 1 minute... and then you wait for 2.5hours in a lounge until the nurse comes back to take more blood (3 full vials).

Fasting was not too bad because we're kinda used to it in Ramadhan, but being around fasting-pregnant-mat-salleh-women was something that I wasn't prepared for. Well, hunger and pregnancy hormones don't mix well on a Friday morning.. and to actually wait in a lounge room doing nothing except reading magazines from the 1980s are not exactly calming for us, who are mostly in our 7 months. There were 4 of them in my same session, all looking grumpy and cranky, as if none got enough sleep the night before. They gave the nurse on duty such a hard time, complaining on everything they could possibly see and touch in the lounge- from the radio being too loud or not loud enough, to the couch not having enough support to the cotton gauze being too itchy on their skin etc etc... I guess in Malaysia, we don't complain that much because the thought of just being attended to in govt hospitals are considered a blessing dah pun! Their nagging even made Baby Bubbles uncomfortable, kicking all the time, as if telling me to just get out of the room and take a walk!

By noon, I was done.. but with all the nagging and blood sucking experience, I was so dead tired that the journey home felt like forever. Had a quick maggi goreng and crashed into bed. Seriously, I haven't felt so tired in my life- even answering Hubby's call feels like an athletic feat. I slept the whole weekend through, didn't do anything but stayed in bed!

As I woke up today (finally!), I felt so guilty- I did promise Hubby to continue with my report writing this weekend. Now rasa macam so wasted dah a good weekend at home. It could have been a productive one, but instead it was just spent in bed. Oh well....

1 comment:

nkj said...

babe, congrats! :)

take care...